| Your Location:
Timeshare Users Group Advice: 14 Tips for Buying a Timeshare
Timeshare Buying Tips
by: TUG member DeniseM
- Buy resale!!!!
- Look at all your options - don't get locked into
one Co. or system
- Join TUG so you can access the
Member's only Resort Reviews - then when you see something that looks
interesting, you can look it up in the reviews.
- Buy where you want to go at least half the time,
or buy 2 every other year resorts - like one in the mountains and one
on the coast.
- Buy a 1 bdm. minimum - or a 2 bdm. if you have a
family (easier to rent/exchange)
- Buy a popular season for that area (easier to
- Buy a resort that has some demand for rentals
and exchanges (easier to rent/exchange)
- Buy within driving distance of your home - you
may not be able to afford airfare some years
- Buy a TS you can afford to pay cash for - it’s a
luxury, it shouldn’t be financed.
- Know what the maintenance fee is - make sure it
won’t be a financial burden. They often come due around Christmas.
- Check on special assessments coming up - you
often see a lot of “great deals” for resorts with a heavy assessment
coming due soon.
- Don't buy with the expectation of making a
profit by renting your unit, or getting glorious exchanges to resorts
far superior to the one you own.
- Exchanging gets more frustrating all the time,
so you are much better off buying where you want to go. That's why I
suggested 2 every other year TS's. That way you have variety, security,
and the perks that go along with ownership.
- Before you buy, become an ebay expert. Notice that you can
use the search functions on the left side of the ebay page to search
for specific areas, companies, resorts, etc.
This is what we paid for our last 4 purchases on ebay:
Scottsdale - Sheraton
Desert Oasis (Starwood) $2,000
Tahoe - Kingsbury
Crossing - $255
Kauai - Pahio Kauai
Beach Villas, ocean FRONT - $1,300
Kauai - Pahio Kauai
Beach Villas, ocean FRONT - $1,500
There are some great
deals out there - take your time, do your homework, and you will find
them. Good luck! -DeniseM
Send comments/feedback by email to:
© Copyright 1993-2007
PO Box 1442, Orange Park, Fl 32067
Phone: (904) 298-3185
updated Apr 15, 2008 by B. Rogers - Send email regarding
this page to firstname.lastname@example.org